Worries Are Diminishing and Your Spirituality Is Awakening

Welcome reader, as requested in the previous blog post, incense will be this week's topic. I have a few experiences with incense and I have concluded that I am not a big fan. However, I want to share my experience and other information about this therapy.

Image from Freepik

This post is going to be a great example to show that certain aromatherapies are not for everyone and that is okay. Each individual has their own relaxation methods. 

What is incense?

Incense is the practice of burning incense products like sticks, cones, etc. The products are made from different materials and infused with varying aromas. 

The price point of these products varies from $1 to $40 or more because of the materials used. 

Some materials are wood, resins, bamboo, etc. The aromas range from lavender, jasmine, sage, frankincense, etc. 

Why do individuals use incense?

Individuals use this practice for a variety of reasons. For instance, some churches utilize incense to purify the building and individuals during prayer. 

Image from Simply Catholic

Incense can be representational for religious individuals. The smoke from burning incense can represent prayers ascending to God.

Incense can also purify one's home. Sometimes there is a guest that comes over and when they leave, the house is left with negative energy. Incense helps get rid of that negative energy. 

Image created with Canva 


Furthermore, it can increase creativity and focus while decreasing stress and anxiety. A few months ago, manifesting was popular on TikTok. Manifesting incorporates incense in the same way as praying. 

Some individuals believe that burning incense helps to awaken their spirituality or replenish their chakras that are low in energy. 

Sheetal, a YouTuber who posts about spirituality, described this practice in her YouTube video entitled why I light incense every day, as "calming" and "therapeutic." Sheetal added, "The aroma and scents of different incense invokes a different mood and emotion from me."

Which aromas are popular to use for incense?

  • Sage is a common aroma to use for purification from negative energies
  • Wood aromas are great for grounding individuals who experience anxiety. Sarah Regan noted in her article on mbgmindfulness that cedar and vetiver are great scents for calming. 
  • Lavender is used during meditation to help individuals relax and bring peace to themselves.
  • Frankincense is an earthy scent that helps with one's spirituality, provides protection and dispels negativity, as Lisa Tjaden said in their article on Radiance Gifts.
  • Jasmine is used to promote one's creativity and self-esteem while also attracting many good things like money and love, as mentioned by Tjaden. 

My experience with incense:

In my church they have burned incense a few times during prayer. The scent was a strong, musky aroma that quickly filled the room. I am not a big fan of strong scents because they can make my head hurt, especially in a closed room. 

I gave incense another chance and purchased a pack of jasmine incense sticks. The pack was cheap; therefore, that could be a reason for my negative review. 

However, when I got home, I burned one stick and at first it was calming. Within a few minutes, the burning scent became overpowering and made the house smell like fire. 

I think some individuals use incense because the smoke is very satisfying to see and some aromas can be pleasant. 

All in all, I would recommend doing your research on this therapy and investing in good quality products so you do not have the same experience as me. 

Comments

  1. Jessica, as someone who enjoys incense, I found your post to be insightful! I agree that the act of burning incense can be calming just because of its ritual. I do not associate any spiritual meaning with it, but lighting incense is something I do to clear my head. I have a lot of anxiety about burning candles and catching something on fire, so burning incense and knowing the fire risk is low and that it will burn itself out and I can forget about it is nice. You make a good point about cheap incense! I splurge on the more expensive stuff as it tends to have a stronger and better aroma. I do understand an aversion to it, though. A previous roommate of mine often got headaches when I burnt incense, even the nicer stuff, so I held off during our stay together. Perhaps it's just the smoke that triggers it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica! I am an avid incense-user when I am back at home, so it was fun to see someone else looking into it! I primarily use sticks for ease, but I enjoy the cones a lot as I have a burner with a waterfall for the smoke, and it's fun to watch. I would like to point out something about a couple scents that weren't listed. Because incense is heavily used in spirituality, some Native American groups have been asking that people outside of their practices do not use White Sage and Palo Santo. Since it is a closed practice, it's important to know!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment